Girl, 2, given Nurofen by locum GP could lose her sight after suffering horrific allergic reaction that left her with sores and blisters all over her face and neck
A toddler survived thanks only to a ‘miracle’ after suffering a severe allergic reaction to Nurofen, her parents said yesterday.Donate Car to Charity California
Macey Marsh’s face broke out in scores of agonising sores and blisters after being given a child’s dose of the painkiller on the recommendation of her GP.
She spent ten days in intensive care with her eyes glued together by mucus as doctors warned her terrified parents, Matt and Sarah, that even if she did live, she might lose her sight.Donate Car to Charity California
Scroll down for video
Macey Marsh, pictured left before the incident, suffered a horrific allergic reaction to a dose of Nurofen for Children. Doctors warned her parents she was unlikely to survive after her entire body began to blister
To her parents’ relief, Macey pulled through after nine days, but may still have permanent damage to her sight
Macey’s father said: ‘There were times when we were unsure if our little girl would pull through at all, let alone with her eyesight intact’Donate Car to Charity California
But to their overwhelming relief, she recovered and reopened her eyes after nine days.
Now they must wait to discover if she has been left with permanent damage to her sight.
The youngster was diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a sometimes fatal condition caused by a violent allergic reaction to a virus or a medication.